It’s about time, right? We certainly thought so!
That’s right friends, Matt and I recently rallied in Pittsburgh, PA to–among other nerdy things–conduct our first in-person NerdKicks Podcast! It was super fun. While we heart the Internet, there’s simply no replacement for face-to-face geeky conversation. And as you can tell from the copious show notes below, we geeked out a lot!
In fact, we recorded three podcasts! The others will broadcast soon, including a very special episode with the wonderful Laura Miller of the Secret Agent L project.
We hope you enjoy our first in-person podcast. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments below. Thanks!
PS – The photos of us above are from our visit together. We tried hard to pose as tough superheroes. Very intimidating, right?
Today’s password: Pittsburgh
Today’s mission: Follow us on Twitter @NerdKicks for more!
Listen to Episode 007:
- Teens Who Can Barely Talk: The article about the loss of 40,000 words referenced by the Whole Foods Market checkout clerk.
- The Skinny: A fabulous article about body image and the media by Scarlett Johannson. (Okay, we didn’t mention this article explicitly in the episode, but as we discussed The Avengers, we wanted to share this article by one of the movie’s stars.)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (one of Mindy’s favorite books)
- The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
- The Avengers (2012)
- Batman (1989) (with Michael Keaton)
- Batman Begins (2005)
- Batman Returns (1992) (with Michael Keaton)
- The Dark Knight (2008)
- Hulk (2003)
- The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- Iron Man (2008)
- Iron Man 2 (2010)
- Superman (1978)
- Elf (2003)
- Gosford Park (2001)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings (2001)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
- Ocean’s Twelve (2004)
- The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
- Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
- Grammar Girl Episode 206: Is “I’m Loving It” Proper Grammar?
- Grammar Girl Episode 291: Irregular Verbs
- Grammar Girl Episode 319: Hopefully
- Nerdist Podcast Episode 201: Seth Green
- Are You Being Served? (1972-1985)
- Batman (1966-1968)
- Downton Abbey (2010-2012)
- Eastenders (1985-2012)
- Good Neighbors (1975-1978) (Original British Title: The Good Life)
- Happy Days (1974-1984)
- The Incredible Hulk (1978-1982)
- Laverne & Shirley (1976-1983)
- Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (1993-1997)
- My Cat from Hell
- The New Adventures of Wonder Woman (1975-1979)
- Superboy (1988-1992)
- Superman (TV Series) (1988)
- Upstairs, Downstairs (1971-1975)
Elton John’s “I Want Love” music video. Watch this, both for the Steadicam shot and to have Robert Downey Jr. stare into your eyes for four minutes.
Stephen Fry’s elegant essay on the evolution of language, the crime of grammatical pedantry, and why we should love the English language. We agree whole-heartedly, Mr. Fry!
“An Open Letter to Stephen Fry” by Molly Lewis. The original video, and how charming she is!
Molly Lewis performing “An Open Letter to Stephen Fry” live for Mr. Fry. It’s adorable and slightly awkward, as any geeky performance ought to be.